Remodeling your Home
Sooner or later you may join the millions of people who remodel their homes each year. Whether you've grown weary of your colors and want a fresh look or you've watched an HGTV show that causes an epiphany about your kitchen or bathroom - whatever the impetus before you leap in do your research! Think about what you want and why you want it:
Do you want to:
- Add more space
- Upgrade cabinets, counters, appliances, and fixtures.
- Create a floor plan that's customized for your lifestyle
- Improve energy efficiency with new windows, doors,
- insulation, and climate control systems
- Increase the resale value of your home
Where to Begin
The first step is to develop an idea of what you want to do with your home remodel. Write a prioritized list of your needs and wants. Look at Web sites and collect pictures of what homes or remodeling projects you like. The clearer your vision the better prepared you'll be in making your decision.
Think about traffic patterns, furniture size and placement, colors, lighting and how you expect to use the remodeled space. If your decision to remodel involves creating better access for someone with limited mobility, you may want to consider contacting a Certified Aging-in-Place Specialist. NIHBA has several CAPS members. Contact us for a list.
You may want to improve home efficiency and hire a remodeler for green home remodeling. Those projects would include replacing windows and doors, upgrading heating and cooling systems, adding insulation, and other remodeling to make the home more energy-efficient, easier to maintain, and comfortable.
Create your budget! Figure out how much money you have to spend on the home remodeling job, furnishings, landscaping or any other cost you might incur. Contact NIHBA for a list of our financial institutions.
Choose Your Options
Once you have created a list of what you would like out of your home, the next step is deciding how to accomplish your vision.
Hire a Professional Home Remodeler. The best way to ensure your home dreams become reality is through the work of a professional home remodeler. These remodelers are of the highest integrity and standards in the industry. See the professional home remodeler difference.
Can you do it yourself? For the handyman or woman, a do-it-yourself project is both rewarding and cost-effective. However, more than 30% of all jobs home remodelers perform come from failed do-it-yourselfers.
Should you move instead? Your needs may exceed what you can or want to do with your existing home. Learn more about the costs involved with moving versus remodeling.
If you’ve decided you want to hire a professional remodeler, visit NIHBA's website to get a list of our high quality, respected remodelers.
Why Hire a Professional Home Remodeler
If you are considering a home remodeling project, the most important decision you can make is selecting a professional home remodeler to do the job. Your home is too important to entrust to anyone but a professional home remodeler who can:
- Save you money by doing your job right the first time.
- Ensure that your dreams are accurately translated into reality by offering design services in-house or through an arrangement with a professional architect or designer.
- Understand that your comfort during the project and its successful completion depend on effective communication and follow-through.
- Maintain a safe and neat jobsite to prevent damage to your home or injury to household members and pets.
- Provide the best possible materials within your budget and assist you in making selections through the vendors they work with.
- Ensure that your job meets or exceeds applicable building codes and regulations.
- Guarantee the quality of their work with a warranty.
- Respond promptly to service calls and inquiries.